The National Trust’s Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Awards 2019

This year the Cambridge Old Post Office and Idea Exchange has been selected as a recipient under the Transformative Projects category.

Congratulations to the award recipients, EGD is proud to be  a member of the heritage team.

The National Trust’s Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Awards celebrate exemplary projects, places and people that contribute to the quality of life and sense of place, and illustrate the viability of heritage buildings and sites for traditional or new uses.

Until 2012, Cambridge’s 1885 masonry post office, listed as a National Historic Site and located on the bank of the Grand river, was in serious disrepair. The community in Cambridge saw this as an opportunity to preserve a historic building while creating new social infrastructure. A collaboration between the City of Cambridge and Idea Exchange, the project involved wrapping a 9,000-square-foot transparent pavilion around two sides of the the old structure, while sensitively rehabilitating the original building. Today, the building, now called The Old Post Office and Idea Exchange, houses Canada’s first “bookless” library.

Idea-Exchange-Old-Post-Office3-232x300

Massey Hall – CBC Arts feature, “The Exhibitionists” with host Amanda Parris

The Exhibitionists story just released online

A more in-depth, 6 & ½ min look at the craftsmanship that is going into restoring these historical works of art:

 CBC Arts feature, “The Exhibitionists” w/ host Amanda Parris

The CBC Arts crew visited Eve Guinan’s studio multiple times over the past 3-4 weeks.

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/exhibitionists/massey-hall-s-stunning-stained-glass-windows-were-hidden-for-decades-watch-them-come-back-to-life-1.5092195

Massey Hall Stained glass restoration and EGD Glass

EGD Glass has been working on the restoration of the Massey Hall stained glass windows for the last few years. Beginning in 2017 with an assessment, when the plywood covering was removed on the interior of the auditorium to reveal the hidden stained glass windows. This lead to the removal and storage of the windows later in the year, the restoration began in 2018 and is due to be completed at this year. This week we had many visitors to the studio with lots of great video and press coverage. See some of the links below for a bit of Massey Hall stained glass history.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1656465

https://www.cp24.com/entertainment-news/music-news/hidden-for-nearly-a-century-massey-hall-s-stained-glass-windows-find-new-life-1.4371770

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2019/04/09/hidden-for-nearly-a-century-massey-halls-stained-glass-windows-find-new-life.

htmlhttps://nationalpost.com/pmn/entertainment-pmn/hidden-for-nearly-a-century-massey-halls-stained-glass-windows-find-new-life

125-year-old stained glass windows found at Massey Hall

Seasons Greetings from EGD Glass

 

                  Seasons Greetings from EGD Glass

EGD Glass wishes you a joyous holiday season and best wishes for 2019.
To mark the holiday season, EGD Glass is contributing to organizations in need of support – Doctors Without Borders, the Yonge Street Mission, Sistering and Covenant House
The image featured in this Christmas card is a detail from one of the 5 Baptistery windows at St. Thomas’s Anglican Church, Toronto. The restoration of the windows began with the removal in January of this year and the installation was completed in November 2018.
The windows were designed and fabricated by A. J. Davies, Bromsgrove Guild, England and installed circa 1922

EGD Glass had a busy November

 

EGD Glass have completed two major projects that have been keeping us busy in the studio and on site this year.
St Thomas’s Anglican Church, Huron Street,Toronto. The Baptistery windows were fully restored. The windows were commissioned by the congregation in memory of those that sacrificed their lives in World War 1. The windows were designed and made by A.J.Davies a renowned member of the  Bromsgrove Guild (1922) and set into a purpose-built Baptistery designed by Eden Smith, sited on the south-east corner of St. Thomas’s, circa 1920. A special evening service on 11th November 2018 was held at St. Thomas’s to commemorated the centennial of the Armistice  and rededicated of the restored Baptistery windows.

Photograph of Baptistery  illuminated from the exterior for the evening ceremony.

Photography of the EGD team attending the service and Rev’d. Mark Andrews,  Incumbent of St. Thomas’s Church