Historic glass windows are unique treasures that allow us a rare glimpse into history.
Tragically, many windows have been lost to the devastation of time and improper care. But in the hands of an experienced stained glass specialist these windows can be enjoyed for centuries to come.
Caring for historic glass is an art and care must be taken in choosing the right studio and specialist. But how do you know who has the right skills and knowledge to restore and care for your windows?
We’ve compiled a list of simple ways you can help ensure you’re dealing with a professional.
1) Solicit bids from experienced studios. An accredited conservator-restorer will possess the necessary skills and knowledge to work with your historic windows.
2) A representative will visit you to conduct an on site visual inspection of the window. The studio will them submit a written bid and proposal.
3) Request a list of previous restorations and references from the studio.
4) Follow up with these previous clients and examine the windows listed in the studio’s portfolio. Ask references how well the studio respected their needs, if they fulfilled their contract and if the client was pleased with the overall result.
5) While reviewing your options keep in mind an experienced professional will seek to conserve as much of the original window as possible. Proper restoration will not interfere with the structural or artistic integrity of the window, and can be undone without damage.
6) Restoring historic stained glass is an expensive task – the lowest bid is not necessarily the best buy.
Are you interested in working with EGD Glass on your next glass project? Contact us today to request a proposal.