120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18

120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18

Celebrate the 120th anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote, a local heritage site, on Sunday, October 18 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. An event will be held on site at 691 Scarlett Rd., at the corner of Scarlett Road and Kingdom Street.

The event will be marked with activities every hour, on the hour beginning at 12 p.m., including a talk on the history of the building, a presentation detailing the renovation process, and a display of artefacts that trace the building’s history.

The Toronto Bell Cote is the only wood framed church in Toronto and possesses a rich local history. Originally built in 1895, the building was once known as Holy Trinity Anglican Church, located in Malton, ON. After falling into disuse, the building was relocated to it’s current site in 1923 and renamed St. Matthias Anglican Church. The congregation of St. Matthias relocated in 1957 and the building was later designated a heritage site by the City of Toronto in 2003.

Renovations began in 2010 to restore and preserve the deteriorated building. EGD Glass was called upon to restore the damaged stained glass windows.

Conservation and Restoration

120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18After assessing the condition of the stained glass, EGD Glass followed up with the conservation of eight original sash windows. Each panel was dismantled and releaded and some pieces of the painted glass, damaged beyond repair, were replicated. The tryptich window on the east side, which featured three panels, was restored. On the south side, a small Gothic window was restored and moved higher up the wall.

EGD Glass also recommended a secondary glazing to protect the newly restored windows. A traditional wood storm glazing was chosen for being in keeping with the style of the day and meeting the Heritage Toronto Board’s requirements.

Under the guidance of Takashi Tsuji Architects, the entire restoration, which finished in 2014, also included a new foundation and basement, steel framing and wood restoration through out.

Advertisements

Reclaimed Decorative Stained Glass Panel For Sale

Decorative Panel with Irish Emblem for sale by EGD GlassThis stained glass window is believed to have come from a church in Quebec, and may have originally had roots in Dublin, Ireland. The window was an existing feature of a house purchased by the owner in 1978.

The historic window is a double lancet/Gothic top stained glass window with single tracery. Three panels are set into a substantial wooden frame of either pine or maple. The panels are a combination of opalescent and cathedral glass with two symbols, which are painted and stained.

The first of the two symbols is the Cross of Lorraine, a French symbol associated with the office of Archbishop. The second symbol, a harp, has it’s origins in the Catholic Church in Ireland.

The window, including frame, stands a total of 90” high and 36” wide. It is estimated to be circa 1900. The artist and studio are unknown.

The window is in overall good condition, though there are a few minor glass breaks in the panels.

View the window on our website or contact Eve Guinan for more information.