New Stained Glass at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church opened it’s present building for worship in 1876. This Romanesque Revival church, located in Toronto, was designed by architect William G. Storm.

In 2015, a committee from the church commissioned EGD Glass to design and fabricate nine new stained glass panels for the tympanum windows above the three main doors at the front of the building.

EGD Glass creating new stained glass at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

EGD Glass took a modern approach to the design of the windows, while taking care to incorporate traditional motifs found in the existing rose window. The existing rose window features an ornamental floral pattern. This floral detail was hand-painted onto the new windows. Silver stain highlights of yellow were added to complete the process and the windows were fired in a kiln for durability.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church new stained glass windows

The panels were installed at St. Andrew’s in March 2016.

Advertisements

EGD Glass Receives Award of Merit from Heritage Toronto

EGD Glass Award of Merit Toronto Bell Cote Heritage TorontoEGD Glass has received an Award of Merit in the William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship category in the 41st Heritage Toronto Award ceremony held on October 13, 2015.

EGD Glass was recognized along side Takashi Tsuji Architects, William N. Greer, Heritage Mills Historic Building Conservation Inc., and Sonterlan Corp., as part of the team contributing to the restoration and conservation of the Toronto Bell Cote. The restoration of the Toronto Bell Cote was undertaken by Sukyo Mahikari Canada.

The William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship awards recognize owners who have undertaken projects to restore or adapt buildings or structures that have been in existence for 40 years or more, or are included on the City of Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties.

120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18The Toronto Bell Cote is the only wood framed church in Toronto and possesses a rich local history. The building was on the verge of collapse in 2010 when renovations began to restore and preserve it. EGD Glass was called upon to restore the damaged stained glass windows.

The team completed the renovation, which also included a new foundation and basement, steel framing and wood restoration through out, in 2014.

Originally built in 1895, the Toronto Bell Cote was once known as Holy Trinity Anglican Church, located in Malton, ON. After falling into disuse, the building was relocated to it’s current site in 1923 and renamed St. Matthias Anglican Church. The congregation of St. Matthias relocated in 1957 and the building was later designated a heritage site by the City of Toronto in 2003.

120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18

120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18

Celebrate the 120th anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote, a local heritage site, on Sunday, October 18 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. An event will be held on site at 691 Scarlett Rd., at the corner of Scarlett Road and Kingdom Street.

The event will be marked with activities every hour, on the hour beginning at 12 p.m., including a talk on the history of the building, a presentation detailing the renovation process, and a display of artefacts that trace the building’s history.

The Toronto Bell Cote is the only wood framed church in Toronto and possesses a rich local history. Originally built in 1895, the building was once known as Holy Trinity Anglican Church, located in Malton, ON. After falling into disuse, the building was relocated to it’s current site in 1923 and renamed St. Matthias Anglican Church. The congregation of St. Matthias relocated in 1957 and the building was later designated a heritage site by the City of Toronto in 2003.

Renovations began in 2010 to restore and preserve the deteriorated building. EGD Glass was called upon to restore the damaged stained glass windows.

Conservation and Restoration

120th Anniversary of the Toronto Bell Cote: October 18After assessing the condition of the stained glass, EGD Glass followed up with the conservation of eight original sash windows. Each panel was dismantled and releaded and some pieces of the painted glass, damaged beyond repair, were replicated. The tryptich window on the east side, which featured three panels, was restored. On the south side, a small Gothic window was restored and moved higher up the wall.

EGD Glass also recommended a secondary glazing to protect the newly restored windows. A traditional wood storm glazing was chosen for being in keeping with the style of the day and meeting the Heritage Toronto Board’s requirements.

Under the guidance of Takashi Tsuji Architects, the entire restoration, which finished in 2014, also included a new foundation and basement, steel framing and wood restoration through out.

Seasons Greetings!

Merry Christmas & Season’s Greetings!

Merry Christmas Card from EGD Glass

From EGD Glass

To mark the holiday season, EGD Glass is making a financial contribution to two organizations in need of support this year – Doctors Without Borders and Sistering.
The windows featured in this Christmas card can be viewed in the Chapel at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. The windows were designed and installed by Yvonne Williams and Esther Johnson in 1937. EGD Glass is currently working to restore the windows.

 

Stained Glass Restoration at Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church in Toronto

Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church in TorontoDuring the spring of 2014 a team from EGD Glass is working to install the north windows at Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church in Toronto. An ongoing restoration of all of the stained glass windows in the church is in process. Stay tuned for more information about the completed restoration.

Reclaimed Stained Glass for Sale

These stained glass window depicting the life of Jesus were designed for St. George Anglican Church, East Toronto. The windows were designed and fabricated in Toronto by a local glass artist and are approximately 40 years old, they are painted and fired in the traditional technique. The church was closed in 2011.

This example shows you a full length view of the window in place. This the 11 panel type which is the bulk of this lot except the nativity ( a nine panel set) and the smaller saints group of two windows. 

Look at all the windows in Lot 177 by following this link:

http://www.egdglass.com/reclaim-listing


BlogImageSt. George Large 7

Welcome to Stained Glass in America

Hello and welcome to our humble blog spot!

This blog is the personality extension of EGD Glass Studios located in Toronto, Canada.

Here we’ll be sharing interesting stories, articles and images in a variety of categories.

A few of our main topics of interest will include; Innovative Design, Interior Design, Architecture, Sustainable Design, Glass Art and Stained Glass.

ABOUT EGD GLASS STUDIO


EGD Glass has an established reputation for creating fine examples of stained and decorative glass.

Lead by Accredited Conservation Restorer, Eve Guinan, with 33 years experience EGD’s services include; the design and manufacture of commissioned new work, restoration and conservation of heritage and stained glass windows, reclamation and consultation.

Working directly with Architects, Interior designers and clients in the public sector, liturgical arts and residential markets, EGD produces custom art pieces, designed and manufactured on a project to project basis.

So, that’s a bit about us, hope you enjoy our blog! Feel free to subscribe

Please visit our website: egdglass.com for more project information and items for sale.